Friday, April 1, 2016

Quote Explanation



Kurt Vonnecut did an incredible job at portraying war in slaughterhouse five. He used pathos and made the readers feel sorry for the soldiers in war. I felt really sad reading some parts because the descriptions were very intense. One of the quotes in the book that I thought was very interesting was: "My God - what have they done to you lad? This isn't a man. It's a broken kite (page 97)". I absolutely love that quote, I believe it captures how the war was going on in the World War II firebombing of Dresden. Throughout the book Kurt Vonnecut shows that many of the soldiers fighting in the wars were children. The "broken kite" represents how children are the ones playing with kites but their innocence was broken as they fought in the war. That quote really changed my viewpoint of war, and caused me to think about both sides.  Near the end of chapter one Billy goes to Bernard O'Hare's house where she has a conversation with his wife Sara. She was mad at him because she didn't want him to write about glorifying war. "she didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars". And Billy promised her that he wouldn't do that he would call it the "Children's Crusade". I find it crazy how people used kids to fight, because that's a whole generation they are wiping out. What was your favorite quote from Slaughterhouse - Five?


2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with what you said about how Vonnegut portrayed war. He didn't glorify it obviously and that's what makes this book so refreshing. Because life is awful and he doesn't sugar coat that. My favorite quote ir passage is when he discussed the girl who looked back in the bible and she turned to a pillar of salt. After wards he said it was so human of her to look back. The truth in that statement is why I love it. Because it is so human instinct to want to look back at the past

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Yes that quote is amazing! I agree with you, that way he said it makes me feel sorry for her. We all are human and sometimes we want to hold onto our past because it means a lot to us. I thought it was pretty cool how he tied in the biblical reference into the anti-war story.

    ReplyDelete